Oral Hygiene Instructions
By following the information in this guide, you and your family can have healthy teeth and gums to last a lifetime. As a parent, you can work with your children to help them understand why good oral care is important — and show them how to do it right!
Four Steps to a Bright Smile
- Brush at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, especially after eating breakfast and before bedtime.
- Floss every day.
- Limit the number of times you eat snacks each day.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
It’s easy to guide your family toward good oral health. All it takes is the right information and a little practice to keep them moving in the right direction!
- Place the toothbrush at a 45°angle along the gum line. Move the toothbrush in a back and forth motion, and repeat for each tooth.
- Brush the inside surface of each tooth, using the same back and forth technique.
- Brush the chewing surface (top) of each tooth.
- Use tip of brush to brush behind each tooth — front and back, top and bottom and up and down strokes.
- Be sure to brush your tongue to remove odor causing bacteria.
- Pull 18 to 24 inches of dental floss from the floss dispenser.
- Wrap the ends of the floss around your index and middle fingers.
- Hold the floss tightly around each tooth in a C shape; move the floss back and forth in a push-pull motion and up and down against the side of each tooth.